“Causa latet. Vis est notissima.”

       Since returning to the Iowa State campus in 1995, Alpha Sigma Phi…

 

 

       To many, we are known as the fraternity that fires the cannon. Fair enough. We do in fact own the cannon that is shot off after touchdowns at home Cyclone football games and during the VEISHEA parade.

 

       We are committed to serving charitable foundations and the community in which we live. We get involved with numerous community service projects and hold a philanthropical event every semester. Our biggest annual philanthropy, both in terms of attendance and money raised, is Merit Badge University (MBU). During MBU, about 300 boy scouts invade campus and attend sessions in which house members, police officers, professors, and others from the community teach the scouts about important topics.

 

       Our national charity is Canine Companions for Independence (CCI). They provide assistance dogs to people with developmental of physical disabilities to enhance their independence or quality of life.

 

Our history, briefly:

  • 1845: Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity founded at Yale University by Louis Manigault, Stephen Ormsby Rhea, and Horace Spangler Weiser (Dec.6)

  • 1869: Iowa State University Officially Dedicated (Mar.17)

  • 1920: Phi Chapter established at Iowa State and moves into the “Vet Med” house (May8)

  • 1930: Purchased all land (except, ironically, the land and house we currently reside in) on what is now called Sorority Circle. Built what is now the Delta Zeta house.

  • 1931: Depression hits the chapter, property is lost and the chapter returns to the “Vet Med” house.  

  • 1940: Last initiation of members due to WW2 leads to membership decline, charter eventually lost in 1943

  • 1954: Phi Chapter charters post-war, moves in to 2717 West Street.

  • 1993: A fresh start needed – house is sold and charter lost so Phi Chapter can start anew

  • 1995: Phi Chapter recolonizes at ISU (May6)

  • 1996: Colony aquires property at 208 Stanton Ave to serve as the house while membership grows.

  • 1997: Phi chapter recharters (Apr.26) and moves into 305 Lynn Avenue.

  • 1998: The former Sigma Nu house at 2132 Sunset Drive is bought by the chapter renovations and additions begin.

  • 1999: Grand Opening of the new house: Thurston Manor (Oct.23)

      

        Since returning to Iowa State in 1995, the members of Phi Chapter have been recipients to many awards on the Chapter and National levels, as well as through the University.

  • Grand Senior President’s Award – Phi Chapter: 2000, 2002

  • ISU Cardinal Circle of Excellence – Phi Chapter: 2000, 2001

  • ISU Gold Circle of Excellence – Phi Chapter: 1999

  • Certificate of Merit – Phi Chapter: 2007

  • William H. Stacy Award – 2005 Matt Swenka, 2001 Ben Rolf, 2000 Isaac Knoot, 1999 Jason Farmer, 1998 Tom Frizelle, 1997 Chad Gillenwater, 1996 Ben Mather

  • Perry Lee Sumner Award – 2005 Adam Howard, 2001 Josh Cantu, 2000 Tom Bander, 1999 Mark Thoreson, 1998 Matthew Mather, 1997 Chip Fievet, 1996 David Hanson

  • Frank F. Hargear Memorial Award – 2001 Isaac Knoot

  • ISU IFC Man of the Year – 2002 Isaac Knoot

  • ISU Greek Website of the Year – Phi Chapter: 2005

  • ISU Greek Week Placings –

  • ISU Homecoming Placings -First Place Overall 2006

 

 

Alpha Sigma Phi, Phi Chapter contact information:

Address: 2132 Sunset Drive, Ames, IA 50014

Phone: (515) 296-1845

Email: alphasigs@iastate.edu

Advertisements


%d bloggers like this: